Renewal assesment of competence instrument rating instructor - IRI(A)
The conditions for the renewal of a instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate are laid down by the establishment FCL.940.IRI(c) Part-FCL Regulation 1178/2011.
Renewal of the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate applies if the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate is not valid anymore - thus is expired.
Procedure for renewal of the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate is in the competence of the flight school - ATO, which advises applicants with further action under the provisions of FCL.940.IRI(c) Part-FCL.
For the renewal of the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate the applicant, who was previously a holder of EASA instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate shall fullfill following requirements:
- refresher seminar for instructors provided by the flight school - ATO;
- instructor assessment of competence in accordance with Article FCL.935 with the flight instructor examiner FIE(A)
After successful completion of the assesment of competence of the flight instructor, the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate will be renewed for the next 36 months period.
What is an instructor assesment of competence?
Except for the multi-crew cooperation instructor (MCCI), the synthetic training instructor (STI), the mountain rating instructor (MI) and the flight test instructor (FTI), an applicant for an instructor certificate shall pass an assessment of competence in the appropriate aircraft category to demonstrate to an flight instructor examiner - FIE(A) qualified in accordance with Subpart K the ability to instruct a student pilot to the level required for the issue of the relevant licence, rating or certificate.
All instructors shall be trained to achieve the following competences:
- prepare resources, development of the materials
- create a climate conducive to learning,
- present knowledge and curriculum,
- integrate Threat and Error Management (TEM) and crew resource management,
- manage time to achieve training objectives,
- facilitate learning,
- assess trainee performance,
- monitor and review progress,
- evaluate training sessions,
- report outcome
Instructor assessment of competence include:
- the demonstration of the competencies described in FCL.920, during pre-flight, post-flight and theoretical knowledge instruction;
- oral theoretical examinations on the ground, pre-flight and post-flight briefings and in-flight demonstrations in the appropriate aircraft class, type or FSTD;
- exercises adequate to evaluate the instructor’s competencies.
The assessment shall be performed on the same class or type of aircraft or FSTD used for the flight instruction.
(When an assessment of competence is required for revalidation of an instructor certificate, an applicant who fails to achieve a pass in the assessment before the expiry date of an instructor certificate shall not exercise the privileges of that certificate until the assessment has successfully been completed.
How long is the instructor certificate valid?
Each instructor certificate issued in accordance with Part-FCL is valid for 36 months (three years). Renewal of the the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate is done for the next 36 months (3 years).
Example: If the instrument rating instructor - IRI(A) certificate is valid until 01/31/2015 and assessment of competence of instructor or administrative extension of the certificate is done on 01/11/2014, in the case of successful examination instructor certificate will be renewed until 31.01.2018.