⚠️ What is TMG Renewal ✈️
TMG proficiency check or license proficiency check is the term also associated with touring motor gliders class rating renewal procedure. The renewal checkride - with an EASA examiner for re-validation of your current TMG class rating for next period of validity. We are talking about TMG classrating renewal proficiency check when the class rating has been expired - even for 1 day.FEP
EASA TMG renewal procedure
Common procedure called proficiency check or license proficiency check - LPC applies for both revalidation and also renewal of the class rating TMG. Proficiency check for renewal of the single-engine TMG class rating is subject of paragraph FCL.740(b). The proficiency check has to be done by either class rating examiner - CRE TMG or by Flight Examiner - FE(A) with TMG privileges. TMG renewal LPC is subject of recommendation by the flight school which can be either ATO, DTO or also an instructor. The ATO, DTO or instructor has to establish the renewal procedure to re-gain the skills and proficiency required for TMG holder. That means it is necessary to involve flight school (ATO or DTO) or flight instructor to renew TMG privileges.
In order to renew class rating TMG you have to fulfuill the requirements of FCL.740(b) as follows:
- complete a TMG proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part FCL with EASA examiner;
- prior to the TMG proficiency check, complete a refresher training at an ATO if deemed necessary by the ATO to reach the level of proficiency to safely operate the TMG class, except if it holds a valid rating for the same class on a pilot licence issued by a third country in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention and if it is entitled to exercise the privileges of that rating. The applicant may take the refresher training:
- at a DTO or at an ATO if TMG class rating is expired for more than three years ;
- at a DTO, at an ATO or with an instructor, if the TMG class rating expired no more than three years before.
This generally means 2 things:
- if you have your TMG class rating expired in your EASA flight crew license and at the same time you hold valid TMG class rating or equivalent in your ICAO flight crew license (e.g. FAA license) you. are exempted from attending refresher training
- you can attend the TMG refresher training even with an instructor without flight school being involved
Refresher training for TMG renewal
FCL.740(b) requires to attend the renewal refresher training in flight school as a part of the single engine renewal procedure. Than AMC1 FCL.740(b) describes furhter the content and purpose of refresher training required for class rating renewal.
The objective of the TMG refresher training is for the applicant to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the particular variant constituted in single engine class rating endorsement. The amount of refresher training needed is determined on a case-by-case basis by the flight school, taking into account the following factors:
- the experience of the applicant;
- the amount of time elapsed since the privileges of the rating were last used;
- the complexity of the aircraft;
- whether the applicant has a current rating on another aircraft type or class; and
- where considered necessary, the performance of the applicant during a simulated proficiency check for the rating in an FSTD or an aircraft of the relevant class.
It should be expected that the amount of training needed to reach the desired level of proficiency will increase analogously to the time elapsed since the privileges of the rating were last used. Nevertheless taking into account the factors listed iabove, the flight school may also decide that the applicant already possesses the required level of proficiency and that no refresher training is necessary. In such a case, the certificate or other documental evidence should contain a respective statement including sufficient reasoning.
After having determined the needs of the applicant, the flight school or flight instructor should develop an individual training programme based on the initial TMG training, focusing on the aspects where the applicant has shown the greatest needs.
With the exception of single engine refresher training referred to in point FCL.740(b)(2)(i), refresher training should include theoretical knowledge instruction, as necessary, such as for type-specific system failures in complex aircraft. The performance of the applicant should be reviewed during the training and additional instruction should be provided to the applicant, where necessary, to reach the standard required for the TMG proficiency check.
After successful completion of the training the flight school or flight instructor should issue the applicant with a training completion certificate or another document specified by the competent authority, describing the evaluation of the factors essential for the scope of the refresher training, the refresher training received, and a statement that the refresher training has been successfully completed. The training completion certificate should be presented to the EASA examiner prior to the proficiency check. Following the successful renewal of the TMG class rating, the training completion certificate or the other document specified by the competent authority and the examiner report form should be submitted to the state of license issue - SOLI.
Scope of ✈️ TMG proficiency check
EASA proficiency check TMG for revalidation of class rating for single-engine aeroplanes is subject to the paragraph FCL.740.A(b)(1). The scope of the checkride with examiner is described in Appendix 9 of Part-FCL, Regulation (EC) 1178/2011.
TMG holder has to demonstrate ability to perform maneuvers, procedures on that particular variant of single-engine piston aeroplane with competency appropriate to the privileges granted as an pilot in command (PIC) to the flight examiner - FE(A), or to the class rating examiner - CRE TMG.
The duration of entire TMG license proficiency check takes approximately 1 hour in total. The flight with the EASA flight examiner takes approximately 30-45 minutes of the block time. The rest of the time is used for the preparation of the check flight (briefing, debriefing and any oral theoretical knowledge examination).
The TMG LPC includes following items:
- general handling of the aeroplane (normal procedures)
- general handling of the aeroplane (abnormal and emergency procedures)
Route of the cross-country flight will be chosen by the flight examiner. The candidate is responsible for flight planning and he is also responsible to ensure that all equipment and all documents, certificates and materials required for the flight are on board of the aircraft during the EASA checkride.
Pass criteria ✅ of EASA TMG prof check
Conditions for pass of the TMG LPC are the same as for any other EASA class rating proficiency check for single pilot aeroplane. EASA TMG proficiency check is split into different sections representing the different phases of flight.
Validity of TMG class rating
Validity of the EASA touring motor glider TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740(a) is 24 months (2 years). The validity period starts by the day of the EASA TMG prof check and ends up by the last day of the month plus 24 months. If the TMG LPC has been failed, the TMG class rating privileges becoming suspended and you will not be able to exercise of TMG class rating privileges iaw FCL.740.A(c). The validity of the TMG class rating can be again revalidated 90 days (3 months) prior expiry date with keeping current expiry pattern - FCL.740.A(b)(1)(i).