⚠️ What is FI(A) revalidation ✈️
FI(A) or FI assessment of competence is the checkride - with an Flight Instructor Examiner - FIE for purpose of revallidation of FI certificate for next 36 months. The aim of the checkride is to assess the competence of the FI holder to provide the flight training within his FI privileges. In accordance with GM1 FCL.905.FI(h)/2) the FSTDs should not be used to pass an assessment of competence on the class or type of aircraft the FI assessment of competence can be done only in aeroplane. Revalidation of the flight instructor FI(A) can be done only within the validity period of flight instructor - FI(A) certificate.
Revalidation of the FI(A) ✅ Flight instructor in general
Revalidation of the flight instructor - FI(A) is subject to FCL.940.FI. In order to revalidate the flight instructor - FI(A) certificate, the holder shall meet at least two out of the three of the following requirements:
- during last validity period, i.e. during the last 36 months to provide at least of the 50 hours of the flight instruction as an instructor, i.e. as FI(A), TRI(A), CRI(A), IRI(A), MI or as an examiner FE(A), CRE(A), IRE(A), FIE(A) and TRE(A).
- to keep the privileges for the instrument rating training 10 flight hours must be during IFR flight training within last 12 months of the FI(A) validity period
- completed instructor refresher training as an flight instructor at flight school - ATO during the validity of FI
- passed an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935 in the period of 12 months immediately preceding the expiry date of the Flight instructor certificate.
At least every second (alternate) revalidation of the flight instructor certificate FI(A) shall be done by attending the assessment of competence.
Validity of flight instructor certificate ✅
Each instructor certificate issued in accordance with Part-FCL is valid for 36 months (three years). Revalidation of the flight instructor - FI(A) certificate regardless of the revalidation method extends the validity period for next 36 months (3 years). There is no need to wait for 3 months (90 days) period immediately preceeding the expiry date of cetificate. Unlike the class ratings or type ratings, all instructor certificates can be revalidated within 12 months preceeding their validity.
✅ FI(A) validity example - normal pattern
FI(A) certificate is valid until 31 JANUARY 2022 and the revalidation assessment of competence has been successfully passed at 01 March 2021.
- New expiry date: 31 JANUARY 2025
- Reason: Revalidation done within period 12 months preceding the expiry date
✅ FI(A) validity example - shortened pattern
FI(A) is valid until 31 JANUARY 2022 and the assessment of competence has been successfully passed at 01 December 2021.
- New expiry date: 31 DECEMBER 2024
- Reason: Revalidation done outside (ahead) period 12 months preceding the expiry date
✅ FI(A) validity example - renewal required
FI(A) is valid until 31 JANUARY 2022 and you have done your FI(A) assessment of competence on 01 FEBRUARY 2022.
- Your CAA will most likely reject your application and void the revalidation procedure if the experience has been one of the revalidation requirements
- Reason: FI(A) has expired and you need to attend renewal procedure provided by flight school (ATO)