⚠️ What is FI(A) revalidation without AoC ✈️
Under certain circumstances, the flight instructor certificate can be revalidated without necessity of the assessment of competence. That option is specifically focused to the flight instructors with recent general aviation instructional experience. At least every second (alternate) revalidation of the flight instructor certificate FI(A) shall be done by attending the assessment of competence in aircraft. Revalidation of the flight instructor FI(A) considering previous instructional experience can only be done within the validity period of flight instructor certificate.
Revalidation of the FI(A) ✅ by experience
In general, the revalidation of the flight instructor - FI(A) certificate is subject to FCL.940.FI. To revalidate FI by experience you have to specifically meet conditions of FCL.940.FI(1)(i) a FCL.940.FI(1)(ii).
In order to revalidate the flight instructor - FI(A) certificate by experience following conditions shall be met:
- during last validity period, i.e. during the last 36 months to provide at least of the 50 hours of the flight instruction as an instructor, i.e. as FI(A), TRI(A), CRI(A), IRI(A), MI or as an examiner FE(A), CRE(A), IRE(A), FIE(A) and TRE(A).
- to keep the privileges for the instrument rating training 10 flight hours must be during IFR flight training within last 12 months of the FI(A) validity period
- completed instructor refresher training as an flight instructor at flight school - ATO
Instructor refresher seminar ✈️
One of the requirements for revalidation FI by experience is to attend the refresher seminar provided by flight school. The content and scope of the refresher seminar is described in AMC1 FCL.940.FI. Content and scope of the Instructor refresher seminar is same for Flight instructor revalidation and Instrument rating instructor revalidation.
The instructor refresher training for the revalidation of the FI certificate should be provided as a seminar by either an ATO or competent authority. FI refresher seminars made available in Member States should have due regard to geographical location, numbers attending, and periodicity throughout the territory of the EASA Member State.
Such instructor seminars should run for at least 2 days (1 day = 6 hours), and attendance from participants is required for the whole duration of the instructor seminar including breakout groups and workshops. Different aspects, such as inclusion of participants holding certificates in other categories of aircraft, should be considered.
Appropriately experienced flight instructor currently involved with flight training and with a practical understanding of the revalidation requirements and current instructional techniques should be included as speakers at these instructor refresh seminars. The attendance form needs to be completed and signed by the organiser of the instructor refresher seminar as approved by the competent authority, following attendance and satisfactory participation by the flight instructor.
Content of FI refresher seminar
The content of the instructor refresher seminar should be selected from the following:
- new or current rules or regulations, with emphasis on knowledge of Part-FCL and operational requirements;
- teaching and learning;
- instructional techniques;
- the role of the instructor;
- national regulations (as applicable);
- human factors;
- flight safety, incident and accident prevention;
- legal aspects and enforcement procedures;
- navigational skills including new or current radio navigation aids;
- teaching instrument flying;
- weather-related topics including methods of distribution;
- any additional topic selected by the competent authority.
Formal sessions should allow time for presentations and related questions. The use of visual aids is recommended, with interactive videos and other teaching aids (where available) for breakout groups and workshops.
After successful completion of the refresher seminar the flight school or competent authority should issue the applicant with a seminar completion certificate or another document specified by the competent authority, which describes the content of the seminar as well as a statement that the seminar was successfully completed. Upon successful completion of the refresher seminar the flight school should submit the seminar completion certificate, or the other document specified by the competent authority, to the competent authority.
Validity of flight instructor certificate ✅
Flight instructor certificate if revalidated considering previous experience is valid for 36 months (three years). Revalidation of the flight instructor - FI(A) certificate regardless of the revalidation method extends the validity period for next 36 months (3 years). There is no need to wait for 3 months (90 days) period immediately preceding the expiry date of cetificate. Unlike the class ratings or type ratings, all instructor certificates can be revalidated within 12 months preceding their validity.